This herb is not regulated by the FDA in the U.S. and, on a case by case basis, may be allowed by the FAA provided you do not have a disqualifying psychiatric condition. Keep in mind it is the condition, not the treatment which establishes eligibility for FAA medical certification.
European studies indicate Saint Johns Wort (Hypercicin Perforatum) is effective in treating MILD depression and anxiety. General precautions:
- Discontinue other mood ameliorating medication for at least 3 weeks
- Most agree dosage should be 300mg, three times per day
- Use Standardized extract containing at least .125% Hypericin
- WAIT TWO MONTHS FOR FULL BENEFIT TO BE REALIZED
- Some studies indicate photo sensitivity so avoid prolonged exposure to the sun
- Use only as directed by your physician
1-Akerele O. WHO guidelines for the assessment of herbal medicines. Fitoterapia. 1992;62:99-110. Summarized in Herbalgram. 1993;28:13-20.
2-Cott J. Natural product formulations available in Europe for psychotropic indications. Psychopharmacol Bull. 1995;31:745-751.
3-De Smet PA, Nolen WA. St. John’s wort as an antidepressant. BMJ. 1996;313:241-247. Editorial.
4-Linde K, Ramirez G, Mulrow CD, et al. St. John’s wort for depression: an overview and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. BMJ. 1996;313:253-258.